Today we decided to re-organise this hive. We had the problem that there were langstroth frames in double farrar boxes (which meant there was a small gap underneath), and then we had another farrar box under this. As we have new larvae and food storage on the langstroth frames there was no way we could get all these busy people onto new farrar frames for the winter. So, inevitably, we ended up buying langstroth boxes and moving the frames into a "new" hive. Not sure how they will cope with the changes as the new box is a different colour to the old one (but we kept the same base). We know we have the queen in the langstroth box/frames which are now at the base of the hive and we have a farrar box on top of the L-base. We removed all the honey frames (mostly farrars) and added a food box on top.
The food box contains "Neste 65" which is a mix of 6 parts sugar and 4 parts water.
What we have learnt:
Isolated the queen in the langstroth frames
A lot of larvae in these frames.
Two boxes with filled honey frames and some full of honey but not yet sealed with wax.
In this photo you can see how a plastic mat is used to isolate the queen in the lower frames. The other bees can crawl through the holes (7mm) in the mat but the queen is too large to get through.