Today we decided to re-organise this hive. We had the problem that there were langstroth frames in double farrar boxes (which meant there was a small gap underneath). As we have new larvae and food storage on the langstroth frames there was no way we could get all these busy people onto new farrar frames for the winter. So, inevitably, we ended up buying langstroth boxes and moving the frames into a "new" hive. Not sure how they will cope with the changes as the new box is a different colour to the old one (but we kept the same base).
Unfortunately we looked through the hive twice but couldn't identify the queen.
The L-box is now at the base of the hive and we have a farrar box on top of the L-base. We removed all the honey frames (mostly farrars) and added a food box on top. The food box contains "Neste 65" which is a mix of 6 parts sugar and 4 parts water.
What we have learnt: