On Wednesday we collected 175 Farrar frames of honey and 5 Langstroth frames from the hives down here in Oventrask. We started de-capping and spinning the frames at about midnight and went to bed at about 6.30am on this morning. We had worked about 90 frames. This afternoon we took 10 more Farrar frames from the hive in Rosendal. So we have already exceeded last year's harvest and we still have the hives in Espoo to deal with. We will process the Espoo honey harvest separately as we are keen to see if it tastes any different.
The honey workshop is now a big clean space - it is much nicer working on the concrete flor (which is painted now) rather than have to work on the plastic sheeting that we used to cover the floor last year. When we finished this morning we could wash the floor easily which has prevented the area being raided by bees during the day today.
We are about to start work again. We still have 85 Farrars and 5 langstroth frames to de-cap and spin.
I was both heavy smoker and bookkeeper (hence the paper and pencil) and P was in charge of removing the frames from the hives (which is significantly more dangerous: he got stung, I didn't).