We've been working nights, scraping the wax off the frames and spinning. Now we have about 200 kgs of fresh honey. We average about 1.3 kgs from a farrar frame and so, over 30kgs per hive (only 6 of the 8 hives were productive right through the season).
Scraping the wax off the frames is quite hard work. It is a manual process and each of the 170 frames has to be scraped on both sides. Some of them are really heavy. By 4am on Saturday night I was exhausted: my right arm had no strength left in it at all and my left shoulder was really stiff. P. carried on until about 6 am. We finished off on Sunday night but managed to get to bed by 1 am (a weird way to spend a birthday but, then again, I stopped celebrating a few years ago...!)
P. got the hang of the spinning machine after a few frames. Spinning slowly to start with and then accelerating. But some of the frames had to be spun more than once. There is a huge difference in the viscosity of the honey depending on the frames.
We had absolutely no idea how much honey we had because we couldn't find any scales! Then we sent the boys up to the farmhouse (there HAD to be one up there) and, sure enough, they came back with some bathroom scales (ironic considering there is no bathroom in the farmhouse). So we weighed the large buckets and each one is around 20-23 kgs. Then we could do all the maths and get a rough idea of the yield per frame and per hive.
We are really really chuffed to have our own honey! And never expected to get so much.