The Espoo harvest went much better and much quicker than we had anticipated. First of all, the neighbours were all away (a coincidence, since we hadn't warned them). Secondly, we had a *new* smoker and lots of smoke pellets. Third, it was not too hot, in fact there were even a few drops of rain but not enough to stop the proceedings. We made a bit of a false start when Peter put his hat through the mesh on his bee suits. I had to thread a needle and do some quick but essential repairs before we could start.
The bees were a lot LESS aggressive than last year and the hives looked great: The three established hives all produce around 20 frames (Farrars) each and the three new hives (the swarms we managed to catch) have healthy queens and plenty of brood. We will take them to Pojo and install them in Rosendal out of the wind and close to the cleared forest which is now covered in raspberry.
After we finished Peter asked me to clear the weeds in front of the hives which is safer to do in a beesuit. I was so confident the bees wouldn't bother me I actually removed my gloves because they were three sizes too big. And I got stung. But only once and it was really no big deal. My own silly fault.
Now the hives are reduced to three Farrar boxes with some spare frames on the top as they are still out there foraging. We loaded the covered frames onto the trailer and took them to Pojo for spinning. No bees were transported! Only honey.